Getting Around Rome By Bike and Bicycle
"Getting Around Rome By Bike and Bicycle" submitted by RomeTour Editorial Team and last updated on
Monday 30th January 2017
Even moderately experienced cyclists, however, may find that cycling through Rome's streets offers an unparalleled way to learn the city intimately and get around very cheaply and efficiently. While the Roman traffic is certainly chaotic to someone from a country with more regimented and enforced rules of the road, Roman drivers are, generally speaking, used to seeing bicycles, as well as scooters and motorcycles, and one may move throughout the city relatively easily. If you are in a car's way, they will generally let you know with a quick beep of the horn and wait for you to move.
Bicycling alone can be stressful because of the traffic. The best way is to discover first how to move around and avoid traffic and stress with a guide thanks to one of the tours offered by almost all rental shops. There are different itineraries offered from the basic city center, panoramic Rome tour to the Ancient Parks (from €29 for 4h). The experience is well worth it and you would reduce also your impact on the city environment and on the traffic.
A 15 km long cycling track takes you from up-town - the Castel Giubileo dam in the northern side of Rome - to Ponte Risorgimento near the historic centre. The itinerary mostly unwinds along a natural environment coasting the Tiber; only the last three km run in downtown Rome.
The Cycling tracks in Rome run along the following itineraries:
- from Ponte Risorgimento to Villa Borghese
- from Villa Borghese to Villa Ada
- from Ponte Sublicio to Ponte della Magliana
- from Ponte della Magliana to Ponte di Mezzocammino
- from Via Giulio Agricola down to via Nobiliore.
On Sundays and holidays bicycles can be transported on the trains of the Railway Rome-Lido di Ostia (on the Roman coast) on the front carriage of each train. Groups of more than five bicycles must call the ATAC Call center(See below).
Rome bike path
Bicycle and Scooter rental
Although most of the sights in Rome are within walking distance or accessible by public transportation, riding a bike or a scooter may give you more freedom to see exactly what you are interested in, and in less time. To really "do as the Romans do" you'll have to drive around on a Vespa - even though Rome is definitely not the place to learn how to operate a scooter! However, if you think you can handle it, you'll have no problem finding rental places all around the city. Most of them also rent bicycles:
- Barberini Scooters For Rent: The Barberini Scooters For Rent, located in the heart of Rome since 1979, is the scooters rental company that offer to you the chance to visit the city in full freedom of movement, using bicycles, scooters, motorcycles in perfect safety conditions. At Via della Purificazione 84, 00187 Rome (RM). http://www.rentscooter.it/
- Beep Beep: Rent scooters, bikes and cars from this company that offers special rates for long term hire. At Via Appia Lato Napoli, 04023 Formia (LT). Tel: 0771 723574 http://www.beep-beep.it/
- Bici & Baci: BICI and BACI is a Rome-based rental agency specialising in two-wheeled transport - bicycles and motorscooters. Organise bicycle tours and authentic Vintage Tours on vintage scooters. Organise bicycle tours and scooter tours, even for small groups. And for real vintage fanatics, organise guided tours and visits on vintage Vespas and scooters, or even in vintage cars. At Via del Viminale 5 Roma (RM). Tel: 06 4828443 Fax: 06 48986162, http://www.bicibaci.com/
- Central Italy Motorcycle Tours: Motorcycle tours and rentals in Tuscany, the Alps, Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, Southern Italy and Tunisia plus guided or solo motorbike tours of Italy. At via Frattina 27, 00187 Roma (RM). Tel: 06 6787870
- Centro Moto Colosseo: Scooter rental and repairs. At 46 Via SS. Quattro, 00184 Rome. Tel: 06 70451069, International: +39 06 70451069, Fax: 06 70451069, Email: c...@centromotocolosseo.it , http://www.centromotocolosseo.it/
- Ciclo Tech: Bike hire and repairs. At v. Pantaleoni 25, 00044 Frascati (RM). Tel: 06 9420758, Fax: 06 9420758, http://www.ciclotech.it/
- Eco Move Rent: Rental Bike, scooter and Vespa hire in the centre of Rome. Located near the two most important train stations of the city, Roma Termini and Roma Tiburtina at Via Varese 48-50, 00185 Rome (RM). Tel. 06.44704518, Fax 06.44360850, http://www.ecomoverent.com/
- Free Mobility: Sale and rental of leisure golf carts, scooters for the disabled, electric bikes, scooters and bicycles. Free mobility Points in Rome: Parcheggio Villa Borghese, Settore IV, Via del Galoppatoio,33, Via Val d'Ossola, 12 - 00141 Roma, TEL. 333-4907371 - 348-8807592, FAX : 06-87130436, i...@freemobility.it , http://www.freemobility.it/
- Happy Rent: Organised motorcycle tours throughout Italy. Tours in vintage cars and on vintage motorbikes. Company has range of cars and motorcycles on offer for rental. Fascinating, exciting, exclusive tours of Rome on board vintage vespas and lambretta from the ‘60s and ‘70s, in the company of our expert riders. At Via Piave 49, 00187 - Rome, Italy, Tel. 0642020675, Fax 0642392145, h...@happyrent.com , http://www.happyrent.com/
- Italy Segway Tours: Rome Tours - the Segway tour and Cruiser Bike Tour are the most appropriate to visit Rome, Italy. See more and have more fun. Offer 3 hour tours, limited to 6 and a minimum of 2 clients around Rome using Segway and Cruiser bikes. A 30 minute orientation is offered at the beginning. Covers all the main areas of Imperial Rome. Italy Segway Tours is operated by Segway Firenze S.r.l., Main Office: Via dei Cimatori 9R, 50122 Firenze, Italy, Roman Office: Via di Sant'Eufemia 15, 00187, Roma, Italy. PHONE: +39 055 2398855 opening hours Mon-Fri at 9am-6pm (Italian Time), EMAIL: i...@italysegwaytours.com , http://www.italysegwaytours.com/rometours.asp
- Roma-n-Bike: Bike sharing scheme introduced by the council. There are 19 bike stations around the historical centre. Purchase a Smartcard and credit from a tourist kiosk and insert the card in the slot by the bike to hire for up to a maximum of 4 hours. Tel: 800 910 658, http://www.roma-n-bike.com/
- Scooter Hire Cyclo's: Offer motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles hire. The company will deliver, as well as provide tuition and a helmet. From small displacement scooters, to motorcycles for long distance voyages provide intermediate displacements, in order to satisfy every need and request. Contact On Road - Scooter and bike rental - Via Cavour 80, 00184 Roma, Italy - Corso Vittorio Emanuele II 204, 00186 Roma, Italy, Telephone (+39)06 4815669, Fax (+39)06 4881329, http://www.scooterhire.it/index.aspx?lng=ENG
- TopBike Rental: Rome based high quality bicycle rental and bike tours organization suggests the best itineraries and takes you to the most amazing places in Rome and in the beautiful country around it. Upgrade and personalize the bike with a wide choice of accessories, also provide you a cycling map with which you can enjoy travelling through quietest paths of the city. Top bike Rental is located in the heart of rome, halfway between Termini railway station and the Colosseum. Additional equipment also available to hire and guided city tours are offered. Group bike holidays in Rome and bike tours outside Rome to let you discover, in just a few days, all of Rome by bike and also allow you to admire the most wonderful little towns and landscapes in the Roman countryside. Personalized tours of different lengths and times supplied on request. Contacts - Top Bike Rental, Via Labicana, 49, 00184 Rome Italy, Phone +39.(0)18.104.22.1683, Email: i...@topbikerental.com , http://www.topbikerental.com/
- Italy Cruiser Bike Tours: Italy Cruiser Bike Tours is glad to offer you a terrific opportunity to discover Pisa Rome and Florence by bike! Florence Bike Tours, Rome Bike Tours, Pisa Bike Tours, Florence Tours, Rome Tours, Pisa Tours, Florence guided tours, Rome guided Tours. Also provide the best orientation, a helpful and enjoyable personal guide will show you the best of the city in only 3 hours. See More and Have More Fun with Italy Cruiser Bike Tours. Operated By Segway Firenze S.r.l. Via dei Cimatori 9R, 50122 Firenze, Italia, Tel: +39 055 2398855, email i...@italycruiserbiketours.com , http://www.italycruiserbiketours.com/
- SCOOTER FOR RENT: For bicycles, mopeds & scooters rental near piazza barberini. Get fun in rome with vespa at a reasonable cost in the centre of Rome you have the chance of renting a scooter a having a wonderful time. Visit the city and it'surroundings; on your own or with your friends.... Contact: Via della Purificazione, 84- Rome - Italy, E.Mail: scoo...@hotmail.com , Tel/Fax +39 06 4885485, http://www.travel.it/roma/scooters/index.htm
Bike sharing Roma (Rome Bike Sharing Scheme):
Bike sharing in Rome
Rome's public transport company, ATAC, operates a bike sharing scheme. The bicycles, which are green, are available at numerous locations in the downtown area and further afield. Whether it's faster or not, remains to be seen, but if you enjoy biking, this might be a great way to get around the city and see the sites. In the downtown area electronic cards can be obtained at the Metro ticket offices of Termini, Lepanto and Spagna. You have to register for the service at one of three points in city and pay a 5 euro fee. After that, you can "charge" the card with money to use the bikes. It costs 0.50 euro for every 30 minutes that you use the bike for a maximum of 24 hours. There are 22 Bike-Sharing around Rome, and you can see how many bikes each station has available by visiting their modified Google map. The rental cost is Euro 1 an hour. The application procedure is a bit cumbersome and you have to give credit card details but this is a good system if you want to move around Rome quickly and with minimal exhaustion. For further information about the service, how to subscribe and to take a look at the map of the stations to find out the exact situation of bikes available, to download the maps, you can take a look at the web site of ATAC Bike-Sharing, Bicycle route, Distance, Service points, etc. Here you will find everything you need including Refuel columns for mopeds and electric bicycles, Bike-Sharing Parking, Parking bicycles.
As you visit 'Getting Around Rome By Bike and Bicycle' you may also like following articles . . .
A 15 km long cycling track takes you from up-town - the Castel Giubileo dam in the northern side of Rome - to Ponte Risorgimento near the historic centre. The
The Italian Dolomites, one of Europe’s most spectacular mountain ranges, offer mountain bikers of all abilities thousands of miles of trail, dirt road and WWI
Many different agencies offer guided excursions to the major tourist sight of the city, occasionally including lunch or dinner at selected restaurants. Tours
Fascinating boat tours on the Tiber, passing under the bridges of Rome, are a different and original way to visit the city (March to October).
Tourists in Rome and other Italian cities need to know that the cities have restricted driving zones to reduce traffic congestion. If you drive there without a